Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Little Engine

My mom had the foresight to save a few precious books from my childhood. A few months ago she brought me my old copy of "The Little Engine That Could." It still has a lovely inscription in it wishing me a Merry Christmas from 1979. I wasn't sure if Hank would like this book just yet. There's a lot going on and the passages are a bit verbose for a 20-month-old. But who knew? He actually adored it from the first time we read it. He often requests that we reread it several times in a row. My husband and I often summarize the passages or pick and choose which parts to read but he loves, loves, loves this book. The illustrations are so wonderful. I particularly remember pouring over this page, which Hank also loves.

Don't the oranges and apples look so enticing? He yells "apple, apple." I highly recommend this book for little ones. It's a classic. Plus have you ever noticed that all of the engines that say no are male but the little engine that saves the day is female! Just saying. Perhaps Watty Piper was an early feminist? 

No comments:

Post a Comment