Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer Food Inspiration


It is officially summer now which means some of my favorite fruits and veggies are finally here: fresh corn, stone fruits, green beans, avocados (we are spoiled in California and get them all year round but they are especially delicious of late), and tomatoes. We are currently trying to grow tomatoes and shisito peppers in our little garden. They are doing OK but aren't yet yielding much of anything. Cross your fingers on that one. In more positive backyard growing news, the fig tree and a peach tree that we planted last summer are doing great!. The fig tree is a dream come true for me. They are so good just plucked from the tree or with a good cheese. Last summer we got some figs so I am not surprised we are getting a bunch more but I never dreamed we would get peaches so soon. They aren't quite ripe yet but as we prepare for the abundance of summer I am looking for inspiration from this place.

Ottolenghi 
Several years ago I spent nearly two months in London for work. For the bulk of the time I stayed near the High Street Kensington tube stop in West London. This was an amazing location because of it's proximity to the park and the lovely shops nearby. One of my favorite places was Ottolenghi. I would go here far too often (because it was not cheap especially when you are still being paid in dollars) to score different combinations of amazing fresh salads and veggies. Now there is a cookbook. 




If you haven't seen "Plenty" yet I highly recommend it. It's a lovely cookbook and everything looks amazing in it. There are tons of recipes for summer fruit and vegetable inspiration. It is serious eye candy that I have spent more than one quiet afternoon perusing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment