Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Rebecca the Musical?



Another favorite film genre of mine is just a good old Hollywood classic film (does this count as a genre? I realize it's a bit sweeping). For me this could mean screwball comedies, sprawling musicals, and of course a suspense film by Alfred Hitchcock. My parents showed me lots of these movies growing up. One of my favorites was "Rebecca." It has a really different feel than many of Hitchcock's famous later films like "Rear Window" or "North by Northwest." The movie begins in glamorous Monte Carlo. The awkward Joan Fontaine somehow manages to land the wealthy and glamorous Laurence Olivier. They return to Olivier's English mansion, Manderley, where they are haunted by the past, his past. It's a great movie, and one that I truly found frightening when I was little. That is why I am a bit surprised that this movie is going to become a Broadway musical? What? I mean I guess there is stranger material out there that is now a show, but it seems an odd choice. Whether or not you take in the musical it's worth checking out the movie if you haven't seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment