Monday, July 9, 2012

My Stone Fox and Her Amazing Store

Molly and Sunny 
I think every girl grows up with that one friend who just sparkles and you simply long to be her in her orbit. She radiates energy and light and everything she does seems original and fascinating. For me that friend is Molly Guy. We grew up a block away from each other. I remember meeting her at a Halloween party in sixth grade and being instantly smitten. In the years that followed we shared our dreams, our angsty teen poems, late night walks with our dogs (and perhaps some forbidden cigarettes), clothes, unfortunate Rod Stewart haircuts, manic panic dyed rainbow colored tresses and everything else that it is possible to share with a friend. We were the only two girls in my high school group of friends who went to classic East Coast colleges. I would frequently drive three hours through quiet Connecticut towns just to get some Molly love while away at school, and she would cause a stir at Vassar whenever she visited me. She showed up with incredible hair extensions one year that only Molly could pull off and immediately started a hair trend. In New York in our twenties I climbed the corporate ladder at my chosen profession while Molly worked at various stylish magazines bringing home treasures from beauty closets and wild tales of celebrity interviews that I longed to crash. These days Molly has a couple of amazing new projects: her gorgeous family (husband Mike and newborn daughter Sunny) and her other baby - stonefoxbride. There is something wonderful about watching a talented friend blossom in a new way and find her footing in a job that she was born to do. Molly has found all that with this incredible store/lifestyle space she created in Manhattan. What is Stone Fox Bride? It's Molly's incredibly lovely and lush, and fascinating alternative to the world of traditional brides to be. Trust me she is killing it with this place. 

Stone Fox Bride

Molly and a model in a Stone Fox look
Molly did an interview recently where she explained why she opened up Stone Fox Bride: I founded Stone Fox Bride to liberate other women from the tyranny of the perfectly sanitized, storybook wedding.  From synthetic hair and flowers, hysterical bridesmaids, insane mother-in-laws and puff, fluff and phoniness. I don’t expect the world to be free of confusion, shades of gray or cellulite. I’m an imperfect person; you’re are imperfect person. Our imperfections is where our beauty and truth lies. I think few things in life are worse than sacrificing your personal style to please other people. I believe that love —  just like marriage — is beautiful, messy and complicated.  And that weddings are as raw, felt and real as any true art form.

inside Stone Fox Bride 
Inside her showroom you will find gorgeous custom dresses, veils and jewels unlike anything you've ever seen at a traditional bridal salon. She even has meditation and yoga instructors, hair and image consultants, sex therapists and more to help you through the process of not just a wedding day but a life together. Molly has explained that the term Stone Fox is something she has called her friends for years, "it’s an endearing term meant to encapsulate their beauty, style, humor, free-spirit, curiosity and overall je na sais quoi." 


Gowns in Stone Fox Bride 
I wish my lovely friend had found her calling long before I waltzed into Mohnique Lhulier in West Hollywood where a salesgirl made me cry in my effort to find the perfect dress. I encourage everyone to checkout Stone Fox Bride and recommend it to every bride to be who is searching for something a bit outside of the box for their wedding. And if you have a moment check out the store's pinterest. You will be inspired for days on end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment