Monday, September 17, 2012

Fiona Apple at the Greek



This weekend we went to see Fiona Apple at the Greek here in Los Angeles. My husband got me the tickets for my birthday this summer. For those of you who don't live here the Greek is a magical, intimate outdoor venue in the middle of Griffith Park. It's one of the best places to see a concert ever. Now I've listened to her music since I was in college (sorry college boyfriend who endured endless road trips of nonstop Fiona Apple blaring from the stereo) but somehow I've never seen her live. She was extraordinary. You literally felt like she was giving herself over completely in every single song and she just might collapse or worse because there was nothing left for herself. She was also frighteningly skinny. It reminded me of girls who were fading away in high school and no one knew quite what to think or do but just catching a glimpse of those girls was too much. It almost hurt to watch her but the music was really beautiful and much more raw then the polish of her albums. I haven't seen a concert since becoming a mom but my new thing seems to be tearing up (were talking tears streaming down my face) when I first hear music. Is this normal? I am not sure. If you haven't heard her new album I highly recommend checking it out. It takes some getting used to but it's so worth it. Here is a live performance from South by Southwest earlier this year.

p.s. if you read my blog with any frequency you might think I only listen to angst-y women who play acoustic guitar or piano. While I love this music I swear I listen to other things as well despite what my husband might tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment