Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Son Is Not a Luddite

Having a child definitely forces me to take a long, hard look at my addiction to my phone/blackberry, etc. I have always had a pretty good excuse for constantly checking my email and keeping my phone close at all times. I really do have a job that means I could get in trouble for not keeping up with everything. I swear.

But when my 16-month-old wanders around the house with the phone up to his ear jabbering away, and speaking with real force and almost anxiety I start to wonder is all of this healthy. Even worse he can completely work the Iphone. I know everyone has different opinions about kids and technology. Maybe you think screen time and technology are 100% evil or you think the educational apps are good for him. I think I am more of the screen time is evil variety despite my own terrible addiction to it all. No matter where you fall you can't deny that it's remarkable that he can turn on the Iphone and select an app by himself! And I must confess I have downloaded apps for him. Sometimes it's all that saves us from a meltdown, and it's cute watching him stare intently at the animals playing peekaboo or the wheels on the bus app, but not nearly as cute as he is when is running wild and free in our back yard. Every time I grab my phone these days I know I run the risk of tearing him away from what he is doing because he sees me and wants to use the Iphone.

This morning I found him with my Iphone using the camera application and jabbering away to his image. It was cute and heartbreaking at the same time. I definitely need to be better about how and when I chose to peer at my phone.

The photos he took are ridiculously cute though. Here are his self-portraits:






No comments:

Post a Comment