Thursday, February 23, 2012

Food Rut

from Goop
I enjoy cooking. It's relaxing and so rewarding to eat something you have made. I love pouring over cook books and planning out menus but I have to confess I am in a bit of a food rut of late. I tend to circle around the same three recipes - the zuni cafe roast chicken (which is amazing and delicious if you haven't tried it), linguine with clams and a chicken milanese. All of these recipes are really good and hearty and delicious but I think it's safe to say my husband might be a little bit sick of them. We aren't quite in spring yet so there isn't really a bounty of fresh produce that gets me excited and inspired. What is a girl to do? I think this weekend I am going to challenge myself and try some new things. Sometime I browse food blogs for inspiration. My favorites include: smitten kitchen, 101 cookbooks, and the amateur gourmet (I have found a lot of great recipes from these guys, but to be honest even they aren't really doing it for me lately). I even pre-ordred the Osteria Mozza cookbook the second I heard about it because I love this restaurant so much, but I haven't made one single thing from it yet. 

The recipes look really tough and involved and have lots of steps. I have attempted home made pasta a few times before with very mediocre results (my husband smiled through a beet ravioli disaster because he is a hero). I guess I should just bite the bullet though and try and recreate my favorite pasta recipe - the Orecchiette with Sausage and Swiss Chard. It is truly the best thing I have ever eaten. Maybe I will report back if my results are worth sharing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment