Friday, January 25, 2013

The Postal Service



Originally I was just supposed to come out to Los Angeles for six weeks one summer as part of a program at my work. I remember that summer my boss visiting and telling me, "don't fall in love with it out here." Los Angeles was barely even on my radar but that summer of sunshine and long drives to the beach made it hard not to fall hard for this city. The soundtrack to that summer was The Postal Service, their album that had just been released. To this day when I hear it I am filled with the feelings of excitement and possibility and change that I felt that summer. I was really excited when the band cryptically announced new things after being silent for so many years. Their one album has hatched lots of inspired covers like Iron and Wine's beauitful take on "Such Great Heights. They will be playing Coachella and I think there is even a new song or two. It's hard to believe I've been an Angelino for eight years now and that summer seems so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment