Monday, January 21, 2013

Children's Garden


I have been living in Los Angeles now for eight years. It's hard to believe it's been so long. When I first arrived I was sure I would return to New York in a couple years, tops. Now I can't imagine ever living again in my former city. One of my favorite places in all of Los Angeles has always been The Huntington Library in Pasadena. I've been coming here as long as I've lived here. I tend to always take the same route - starting in the desert gardens and ending in the Japanese gardens. I can't tell you how many times we've made this lovely trek.
My friend Dana and I visiting a few years ago
Recently we visited with my step-father who wasn't quite up to the steep decline and climb again that you have to make when you visit the Japanese gardens so he went another route. We were shocked to discover a whole area of the gardens we'd never even visited. This included the incredible Chinese gardens where you can sit and have tea and lookout on the various pools and the children's garden. This is one of the best hidden gems in Los Angeles for kids. I am not kidding. You walk through a lovely blue door and discover all sorts of interactive fountains, topiary shaped like animals, and all sorts of nooks and crannies for kids to explore. We had such a blast spending an hour in the unseasonably warm weather. I can't recommend this place enough if you have young kids.

Hank and some other kids enjoying the fountains 

No comments:

Post a Comment