Monday, October 8, 2012

Lloyd Dobbler Forever



We were off at a beautiful wedding this weekend in Rhinebeck, NY. Sam, one of my husband's best friends, married Casey in a beautiful wedding weekend at the incredible home they are slowly restoring by hand. It was a Quaker wedding ceremony. This was my second time experiencing a bit of a Quaker meeting at a wedding where for the bulk of an hour you sit in silence and wait for your peers to be moved to stand up and say something. It was fascinating and beautiful and overwhelming at times. I was envious that my husband and his friends grew up experiencing this in school every week. It is not always easy to sit in silence, especially in middle school. I think his friends, who are an incredible bunch, are forever changed by having had this experience countless times when they were young. I am so thankful to have been a part of such a beautiful wedding weekend, but while I was away I apparently missed a special concert at the Hollywood Bowl. One where perhaps one of my favorite cinematic moments was recreated on stage - John Cusack holding up the boombox in "Say Anything" blaring "In Your Eyes" to his beloved Diane Court who tries her best to resist him in her bedroom upstairs.At this weekend's Peter Gabriel concert John Cusack came on stage holding a boombox, AND Cameron Crowe was there too. If you are around my age then most likely "Say Anything" was an important movie for you. I know it was for me. I watched it hundreds of times probably. The song "In Your Eyes" is also a significant one. I think it was played at every middle school dance and all of the Bar and Bat Mitzvah's I attended (I went to a lot people). I associate it with a mix of excitement/anxiety of the slow dance that would always commence with that song. Will you be dancing with the cute boy you liked? Will you have anything to say to each other. I think only "Stairway to Heaven" was played more at these gatherings. It was an gorgeous weekend but I am sorry to have missed this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment