Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Hank's Doctor's Appointment Leads to a Fall Shape Up

Hank pre-appointment

Yesterday morning we took Hank to his two-year-old checkup, and it was not pretty folks. Maybe it's because he is old enough to remember the doctor's office? Or perhaps it had something to do with the fact that he woke up at 4:15 am yesterday ready to party and finally fell asleep on the car ride over only to be woken up when we arrived, whatever it may have been, man he was not having it. It turns out our poor guy has an ear infection which means we have to go back in two weeks to finish the appointment. Awesome! We did attempt to weigh and measure my poor screaming son. He was so resistant to being measured that finally the lovely nurse suggested Hank and I get weighed together and then me alone and we could figure out his weight that way. Wow, as if the morning wasn't tough enough already I now have to be weighed in front of my husband who, bless his heart, still seems convinced that I weigh nothing. I didn't want to shatter his illusion. Turns out my illusion has been shattered as well. Gone are the skinny months a year ago when the only exercise I needed was nursing. I am not nursing anymore but I am eating like I am still pregnant. This was not the cutest moment. To be honest I do my best to avoid scales. I think we know our bodies well enough to know when things fit us well and we are slim and when we are not at our slimmest without being a slave to numbers. I've spent enough time in my life being utterly obsessed by how I look. I've tried more recently to measure things more by how I feel. But I am only human and something about hearing the numbers did kind of wake me up. Especially because even the nurse kept trying to make me thinner than I am on the scale. It was if she too couldn't quite believe it.

I am not sharing the exact numbers because I am not crazy but let me say this - I am really committed to losing some serious pounds this fall. I am going to exercise five days a week, today happens to be day four for me so I am off to a good start. Exercise has been really hard for me to keep up with as a working mom. When I leave work I feel like I really should be spending all of my non-working hours with Hank. It feels wrong to be leaving him to do something so selfish but I am over that folks. Frankly the time I spend with Hank is much richer if I have had a chance to sweat and burn some calories. For me these days I need a lot of bang for my buck. I don't have hours to spend at the gym so I am mostly either spinning here or I am running outside or if it's 100 degrees like today than I am running at the gym. I will try and mix in maybe one day a week of Pilates or a DVD, or maybe a fun dance class. I hope since I am actually putting this in a blog post that I will really stick with it and I can update everyone on my process in a few weeks. We have a wedding this weekend on the East Coast near where I went to college. This is a good test for me because I need to find time to exercise even here.

In addition to exercise I will just try to a bit more devout about eating healthy. To be honest I cook a lot and most of what I cook is really healthy - fish, chicken, salads, etc but between family visits and various things to celebrate there has been a bit more indulging of late. I figure if I can ease back on indulging and stick to my new commitment to exercise I just may be ready to face Hank's next checkup where I may have to get weighed again!

No comments:

Post a Comment